Fasting

To this day I remember the first time I came to know the word "fasting".

I was in the school bus heading home, I had the leftovers from my spoils from the canteen; a few fruit toffees (I used to love those, especially the colors of the wrappings) and in the bus, there was Mrs. Habib, an official from our school. She was really nice to me and my sisters and she'd always talk to us, so I offered her a toffee. In our school, you had to talk to school officials in English, so her response was "No thanks, I am fasting". I didn't understand what she meant, so I looked to my eldest sister for an explanation and she told me what it meant. I was really embarrassed that I didn't know the word and ever since, I have always remembered the word and the situation. Funny, huh?

Comments

Popular Posts