Stuff happens

It's really amazing how sometimes we get carried away in thinking that we're the only people going through something. After graduation last summer, I decided that I'm going to take an entire year off, to sort out things, something which people tend to call "a gap year". Anyhow, the first six months of my gap year were an utter disaster from depression to working for my father to taking that wretched diplomatic exam [useless] to breaking my leg, as such I've decided to restart my gap year beginning from January. I guess a lot of people think this is a waste of time including my parents and to be truthful whenever someone asks what I'm doing with my life, I just say that I'm between jobs. The utter truth is I'm not really looking for a job, browsing maybe, but not looking. Anyhow, I thought I was in this alone, but I turned to be totally wrong.

So, allow me to write an excerpt from a novel I'm reading right now by none other than Alexander McCall Smith, my favorite writer of all times, it's called "44 Scotland street "
.
.
.
Pat looked up at the cornice. "I'm on a gap year," she said, and added, because truth required it after all: "It's my second gap year, actually."
Bruce stared at her, and then burst out laughing. "Your second gap year?"
Pat nodded. She felt miserable. Everybody said that. Everybody said that because they had no idea of what had happened.
"My first one was a disaster,"she said "so, I started again."
Bruce picked up a matchbox and rattled it absent-mindedly.
"what went wrong?"he asked.
"Do you mind if I don't tell you? Or just not yet."
He shrugged."Stuff happens," he said. "It really does."
.
.
.
I guess there's no need to say that I immediately fell in love with the novel, because to me it seemed so real and understandable. I just want to thank the author and say that he really made my year.

P.S: the post's title is the same title as the chapter in the book

Comments

Popular Posts