The Fat One

People want to be the chosen one, to be unique, to be different, but they never want to be fat. I learned that at an early age. Fat people bring shame to the world, or so I thought. Fat people should never eat in public, or so I thought. Fat people should never wear stripes, or so I thought.

It took me nearly 30 years to get accustomed to being fat. Or maybe 29 years and a half.

I am fat. I tell everyone now, not all the time, just when the occasion presents itself.  Not that they can't tell, but it helps them break the barrier. I get the expected response of "no, you're just curvy". I am overweight, hence fat.

There are a lot of connotations that come with being fat. Mostly, negative ones. I spent 29 years (and a half) struggling with those connotations. I have always wanted to be thin. Not anymore. I stopped caring about what my silhouette looks like, and instead, I care about how I feel and what I think.

As a woman, it's so hard to let go of the image you are supposed to be; an image drawn by society and reaffirmed by people around you even though most of us fail  to conform to it.

I do yoga. My interest in yoga started at the fresh age of 13, when I happened upon a book explaining it. It was a tiny guide with all the different poses. I started practicing out of curiosity and soon it became an actual interest. Throughout the years, my practice faltered and renewed several times. I am finally at a place where I am practicing regularly, and it's one of the few habits I intend on continuing.

I see people, sometimes, looking at me during class. They look at me as if I shouldn't be there. They look at me in a defiant way; wonder how good is that fat person. Sometimes, I see it in the eyes of some instructors. Sometimes, whenever we are in the mid of a difficult pose, I see them looking at me, wondering when I will fall. They look at me for permission to falter. If the fat person is still going on, so should I. I see you, and I see it, and I see my spirit, floating around.

In the past, I would have been offended, now I see it as a way to inspire people. If the fat person can do it, you can too. 

Comments

Popular Posts